When you’re driving down the highway, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings. This includes being aware of other cars on the road, as well as any vehicles that may be pulled over on the shoulder.
If you see a car pulled over on the shoulder, it’s important to shift lanes to give them a safe space. This is especially important if there is police or medical personnel present.
There are a few reasons why it’s important to shift lanes when another car is pulled over on the shoulder. First, it helps to keep the driver of the pulled over car safe. If you pass them too closely, you could startle them or cause them to fall into oncoming traffic.
Second, shifting lanes helps to keep traffic flowing smoothly. If you stay in the same lane, you could cause other drivers to slow down or change lanes unexpectedly if they don’t see the car on the shoulder.
Finally, shifting lanes is the law in many states. In fact, some states have “move over” laws that require drivers to change lanes or slow down when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle.
If you see a car pulled over on the shoulder, here are a few things you should do:
- Slow down. This will give you more time to react and avoid any potential hazards.
- Signal your intention to change lanes. This will let other drivers know what you’re doing.
- Check your mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes. Make sure there are no other cars in the way.
- Change lanes to the left or right, whichever lane is safest. If there is no safe lane to change into, slow down until you safely pass the pulled over car.
By following these simple tips, you can help to keep yourself and others safe on the road.
Here are some additional tips for shifting lanes when another car is pulled over on the shoulder:
- If you are unable to change lanes, slow down to at least 10 mph below the speed limit.
- Be prepared to stop if necessary.
- Use your headlights to signal to other drivers that you are slowing down or changing lanes.
- Be patient and allow other drivers to pass you if they need to.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure the safety of everyone on the road.